Supported versions of 3ds Max
Our plugins support 3ds Max 2019 to 2024.
Due to Autodesk's licensing policy, RailClone is only able to officially support 3ds Max 2019 to 2024. The installer also includes versions of RailClone for 3ds Max 2013 to 2018 which should install and work as expected, but we are unable to test them.
RailClone supports native instancing in the renderers and versions listed below
- Arnold 7.2 is supported. Please make sure the MaxToA plugin is up-to-date. You can download the most recent version from the Arnold Renderer website .
- V-Ray and V-Ray RT supported versions are 2.5 or greater for V-Ray 2, and 3.7 or greater for V-Ray 3, 4.3 or greater for V-Ray 3, V-Ray Next and V-Ray 6.
- Corona Renderer 1 and onwards.
- Redshift 2.6.24 or above
For unsupported renderers it is still possible to use RailClone using RailClone Tools to convert the objects to standard Max instances.
Due to technical limitations, feature support varies between renderers. The table below illustrates the compatibility of RailClone's key features with each render engine.
- Fully compatible features are marked with . Note that in Arnold, some material based features require the user to enable Legacy 3DS Max Map Support.
- Partially supported features are marked with a . These can be enabled by turning off the instancing engine.
- Unsupported features are marked with a
|Create Instances using RailClone Tools
|Automatic UVW Mapping
|Use Segment Materials
|Presets with compatible materials
For network licenses, you will need to install the license manager on a networked PC. The license manager has the following OS requirements:
- Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8/8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server:
- Windows Server 2019 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2016 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)