Exporting to Unity
Using Forest Tools and our Plugin for the Unity asset store, it is possible to export items scattered with Forest Pack to Unity for use in games and other real-time products. To export with Forest Tools and the Unity plugin, you must be using Forest Pack 7 or above and Unity 2018 or above.
The basic procedure for sending a scatter to a unity project involves 3 steps
- Export Scatters using Forest Tools. This will create a .forest file that contains the distribution information and .fbx files that contain the source geometry.
- Install our Importer package in Unity
- Import the .forest and .fbx files to Unity
1 - Export Scatters
To export a scatter from 3DS Max.
- Select one or more Forest Object
- Open Forest Tools from the Utilities panel. You can also access this by clicking the button on the Forest toolbar.
- Click on Forest Exporter > Open
- Change the Format to Unity
- Click the elipsis button (...) to choose a save location
- Click Export. A .forest and .fbx file will be created.
2 - Install Importer Packages in Unity
To import the assets exported in Step 1, you will need to install the plugin packages to your Unity project. To do this
- Download the plugin package from the iToo Software website
- Drag the package to Unity's asset browser.
Asset Store Installation
- Pending asset store approval
3 - Import Forest Objects to Unity
Once the packages are installed, you can import the Forest Objects. To do this:
- Drag and drop your .forest files along the .fbx files generated by the Forest Tools exporter, alternatively, you can right-click and select "Import New Assets"
- Your scatter will import and display with a FP logo in the asset browser. You can add this to the scene like any other object