Using Forest Tools and our Plugin for the Unity asset store, it is possible to export items scattered with Forest Pack to Unity for use in games and other real-time products. To export with Forest Tools and the Unity plugin, you must be using Forest Pack 7 or above and Unity 2018 or above.
The basic procedure for sending a scatter to a unity project involves 3 steps
- Export Scatters using Forest Tools. This will create a .forest file that contains the distribution information and .fbx files that contain the source geometry.
- Install our Importer package in Unity
- Import the .forest and .fbx files to Unity
1 - Export Scatters
To export a scatter from 3DS Max.
- Select one or more Forest Object
- Open Forest Tools from the Utilities panel. You can also access this by clicking the button on the Forest toolbar.
- Click on Forest Exporter > Open
- Change the Format to Unity
- Click the elipsis button (...) to choose a save location
- Click Export. A .forest and .fbx file will be created.
2 - Install Importer Packages in Unity
To import the assets exported in Step 1, you will need to install the plugin packages to your Unity project. To do this
- Download the plugin package from the iToo Software website
- Drag the package to Unity's asset browser.
Asset Store Installation
- Pending asset store approval
3 - Import Forest Objects to Unity
Once the packages are installed, you can import the Forest Objects. To do this:
- Drag and drop your .forest files along the .fbx files generated by the Forest Tools exporter, alternatively, you can right-click and select "Import New Assets"
- Your scatter will import and display with a FP logo in the asset browser. You can add this to the scene like any other object